I have to admit I am usually terribly lazy and just use store bought salad dressings, even though I know I can make better!!! It had to stop, so I found a great recipe that has become my go-to, a Mustard Shallot Vinaigrette. [Read more…]
This watermelon and feta salad is a bright and refreshing summer salad that is quick and easy to make. It looks so fresh and everyone will be asking for the recipe! I know because I had to have the recipe after I tried it and I am posting this because I have a friend who wants to make it for a BBQ!
I have to give credit to my good friend Genevieve, shemakes the best salads. I know I can always ask her to bring a salad and she will bring something different and delicious. I don’t ever make a salad if she is coming because she can just do it better!
This watermelon and feta salad is so refreshing and colourful and she guaranteed me it was easy peasy to make. I needed to bring something to a teacher appreciation lunch so I made it and brought it and everyone loved it and thought I was a rock star. Sweet (and salty) victory for me!
So I decided to be totally tacky and made her bring an appy to a mommy play date lunch and then I made the salad! To be fair her appetizer was really good so she looked awesome no matter what!
- 5-6 cups of watermelon cut into chunks, rind removed (about 1 medium melon)
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese coarsely crumbled
- 1 lemon juiced (reserve) and zested
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small handful of fresh basil leaves shredded
- sprinkle of sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- To make the dressing add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to the olive oil and set aside.
- Gently toss the watermelon cubes with the feta, basil and lemon zest.
- Add the dressing just before serving.
- The salad can be prepared a few hours before serving and refrigerated. Just add the dressing right before serving as the watermelon will get 'soggy' if it sits in the dressing too long.
Summer time and the fresh produce is fine! I don’t grow zucchini as my son wants pumpkins and I only have room for one vine snaking across my lawn but I do love me some zucchini. I grabbed several at the farmers market to make a salad for a sorority dinner and also for when my chef relatives came for dinner.
Side note ramble – it is hard having a chef brother married to a chef, what do you make??? I think they might have liked this salad because I saw they made zucchini ribbons for Diner en Blanc.
So to get back on point this recipe is beautiful to look at, relatively easy to make and chefs will eat it! This recipe is serves 4-6 easily if not more.
Looking for a salad to bring to a potluck? If you love pasta and you love greek salad why not combine them? Best idea ever—right? I can not take credit for the actual idea I found a recipe on Two Peas & Their Pod but I knew I wanted to adjust some of the ratios to suit my tastes. I cannot even express to you how yummy this salad! You just might need to make it for your next picnic or even just for dinner and lunches, it will keep up to 3 days in the fridge. [Read more…]