I love recipes that come together out of a happy accident. My Chewy Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies (can you say alliteration?) are a perfect example! I was going to bake chocolate chip cookies and had everything ready to go when I realized somebody had been snacking on the chocolate chips and there were not going to be enough. So there I was standing in my pantry with chocolate chips in one hand and my heart set on warm cookies when a bag of dried cranberries caught my eye. Cue angels singing and beam of light….it felt that right!
I love cookies these for school and work lunches. They freeze beautifully so go ahead and make a big batch. Also I have made them with pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and that is pretty darn awesome as well!
- 1 cup SOFTENED butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350
- With an electric mixer beat softened butter at high speed until it has lightened in colour and is fluffy. Add both the brown and granulated sugars and beat until the mixture becomes even fluffier.
- In a small bowl whisk eggs and vanilla until blended. Add half the egg/vanilla mixture into the sugar/butter mixture, beat until blended. Add remaining egg/vanilla and then beat until smooth.
- In another bowl whisk together flour and baking soda. Pour half over the batter. With a wooden spoon mix until incorporated, then stir in the remaining flour. Stir in the chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
- Scoop rounded tablespoon sized drops onto the cookie sheet. Leave about 2 inches space between cookies.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are golden along the edges and underneath. Let cool on a rack for 2 minutes
Have you ever ‘stumbled’ upon a new ingredient in a favourite recipe?