I took a kid friendly snack – applesauce and had some fun with it! My boys loved a spiced pear-applesauce I used to make them when they were little and this is just a variation of that with a jolt of brilliant green colour courtesy of super food spinach. With St Patrick’s Day just around the corner I called it Shamrock Applesauce. My boys couldn’t be happier to eat this fun, healthy treat.
I love using these re-usable Squooshi pouches-find them here.
- -approx 3 cups of applesauce. I used unsweetened in the jar (796ml) but you could simmer up a homemade batch.
- -2 whole washed and cored pears, chopped. Leave the peels on-extra fibre!
- -1 large handful of fresh spinach
- I like to spice my sauce
- -1 teaspoon cinnamon
- -1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- -1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Add all ingredients to blender. It is a good trick to add the wet on the bottom and work your way up to the most 'solid' food on the top. Blend until smooth. Enjoy now or freeze portions for later.
- This freezes well. I portion it out into reusable food pouches but using a cube tray or small serving size containers work well. They make a great lunch snack for kids at school!