I swear I could eat a whole pan of these potatoes, they are that good! They are garlicky and lemony and they get that crusty, chewy outside that is to die for. Hubby and I will make them and enjoy them for a few meals (because truthfully noteven I could eat 8 potatoes in one go). We enjoy them usually with chicken souvlaki as the kids really seem to go for ‘meat on a stick’.
I will say in advance that they do take a good amount of time but most of that is just them in the oven and there is some extra clean up needed as the pan can have stuck on potatoes baked on. But don’t worry they are worth it!
I find it is best not to crowd the baking dish, in fact I ended up dividing this pan into to separate dishes as they end up crustier when they are not layered.
The magic is in the fact that there is a LOT of garlic and the chicken broth adds a ton of flavour as well. I make my own chicken broth which is not too salty so just keep that in mind if you are using store bought.
- -6 or 7 large-potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges length wise
- -1/2 cup olive oil
- -1 cup chicken broth
- -4 or 5 garlic cloves, minced, don't worry it sounds like a lot but don't skimp out!
- -1 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- -juice of 2 lemons
- -salt and pepper to taste
- -Preheat oven to 440°F Spray 9 x 11 glass baking dish with cooking spray
- -Add potatoes to the pan
- -Mix remainder of ingredients together and pour over potatoes. Toss potatoes to coat.
- -Bake 40 minutes and then toss them to help the underside of the potatoes to start crisping up.
- -If the pan seems dry you can add a drizzle of chicken broth or water.
- -Bake another 20 minutes, toss again and bake again for 20 minutes.
- -Potatoes should have a nice golden brown crispy outside.
- Feel free to soak pan overnight-it will be pretty crusty! Nobody will judge you, least of all me!