Looking for a pretty handmade gift for a teacher or friend? The Gingerbread Loaf Gift Jar is fun and easy to make and can be presented so nicely. It was quite frugal to make, I found 12 jars for under $10.00 and then the cost of the ingredients. Even after we wrapped in tea towels the gift was still under budget.
This is another project my son found and just had to make, so of course I ran with it and made it for everyone on our list that we would give a gift to. He found the recipe and instructions in his Highlights magazine.
Of course if you just want to make this to enjoy yourself just combine the bottom and top recipes! My house smells so amazing when this is baking!
|You can see the flour/spice & brown sugar layers and the bag of icing sugar.|
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup icing (powdered) sugar (to be put in Ziploc bag)
- small Ziploc bag
- 1 quart mason jar
- printed recipe how to (see below)
- Cut and paste your recipe (below) and print to give with the jar. Decorate.
- Layer the flour and brown sugar/spices into mason jar.
- Measure icing sugar into bag, place bag inside jar.
- Attach recipe to jar, can use ribbons or raffia or can tie it all up in fabric or a tea towel (see here for hand painted tea towel how to)
|Bug had so much fun helping make these jars. And yes we did have a Playmobile pilot helping out|
|Yeah we made just a few!|
|Wrapped with hand painted tea towels|
|Have kids help decorate the recipe sheet to include with the jar. (see below)|
You will need:
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup fancy molasses
1/4 cup milk
1 beaten egg
- Combine above in a large mixing bowl.
- Open jar remove bag of powdered sugar, set aside
- Add the contents of the jar to the bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 8x4x2(inch) loaf pan
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into middle of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool completely
- Combine bag of powdered sugar with orange juice. Stir.
- Drizzle over cooled loaf.