A few years back my friend Jenn gave me a great muffin recipe with orange and I think it called for raisins or nuts but I have long since given it a fibre boost by adding bran and switching some of the flour to whole wheat. I also swapped out the boring stuff for dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds.
The muffins are perfect for breakfast or packed in lunches. I double the recipe and freeze most of them for lunch boxes.
- 1 large navel orange
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bran (I use oat bran)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
- The whole orange including the peel is used, I just trim the ends off (discard) and then cut into about 8-10 pieces. Pop all the pieces into the blender with the orange juice, oil and egg. Blend it up until it is smooth. Pour into your mixing bowl.
- Add the flours, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Mix until incorporated. Stir in cranberries and seeds.
- Pour into lined muffin tray. Makes 12-16 muffins. Bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes.